Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Art II Pin Up Tales




Disney never grows old, and I have a few posts in my blog to support that, but then I come across out-of-the-box ideas of the classics that I have come to love as a kid.

There are a series of illustrations that I adore because of the way that they were able to put the pin up in Disney without being too sleazy. I scanned some other works done in this genre and I wasn't excited when I saw them, perhaps it lost its magical quality for me.

When I think the pin up style, Tinkerbell is the one that immediately comes to mind~

Here are a series of J. Scott Campbell's illustrations following the comic book style. It's definitely a far cry from the singing characters on the movie screen. This captures a totally different audience changing up from child to adult.

I like how the colors are very vibrant and how the body seems to be dynamic despite being a 2D illustration. I also like the proportions for the bodies. I have a preference in making my sketches curvier and this series totally appealed to me at first glance. Also the clothing chosen provide enough coverage for a whole lot of imagination. He creates a whole new look for different female fairytale characters as his forte is drawing women.

These illustrations come from his 'Fairytale Fantasies' Calendar fro 2010. I shall post 2011 up as soon as the illustrations are complete!

Here are the illustrations!

Sleeping Beauty

Snow White

The Evil Queen

Little Miss Muffet

Alice

Alice, The Queen of Hearts & Co.

Goldilocks & The Three Bears

Cinderella

Ariel, The Little Mermaid

Belle & The Beast

Tinkerbell

Little Red Riding Hood

Dorothy & Co.

Visit his site here! :)

--------
~Krisan

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive